Hohepa Canterbury was established on 30th August 1965, in a large gracious home on the slopes of the lower Port Hills, overlooking Christchurch City. Initially the organisation started as a home school for nine young children with Margaret Farrow recruited from England as the first Principal.
In 1967 the Barrington Street site of 2¾ acres was bought along with its original 1910 two storey family home. Several residences and a day centre were built on the site over the following years. In 1984 a forty acre farm near Halswell was purchased, largely financed by the late Sir Lewis and Lady Harris.
Hōhepa Canterbury has continued to grow as demand for our services increases. We currently support over 170 people across Somerfield, Halswell, Melrose Farm and other houses close by in the wider community.